[asterisk-users] Using MAC or extension number as SIP identifier

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Thu Nov 20 12:53:19 CST 2008

Olivier wrote:
> 2008/11/20 Eric ManxPower Wieling <eric at fnords.org>
>
>> Personally I use the MAC-x wherex=the line appearance number.  MAC-a for
>> first line appearance, MAC-b for 2nd, etc.
>>

> Is it easy to use (CLI, logs...) ?
> Would you step back to an extension-based identification scheme ?

I would never go back to extension based sip accounts.

Some of our users have multiple different extensions per phone and many
extensions appear on more than one phone.  It is very nice to be able to
say to the user "read me stuff on the white sticker on the bottom of the
phone" (which is where Polycom puts the MAC).  Then we know EXACTLY
which phone the user is talking about, which phone config file, which
parts of the dial plan, etc.

--
Consulting and design services for LAN, WAN, voice and data.  Based near
Birmingham, AL.  Now accepting clients worldwide. Contact me for Tellabs