[asterisk-users] question about connecting with Mobile Base Station

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Nov 19 12:13:26 CST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 7:30 PM, mark morreny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to connect Asterisk with a mobile base station to
> handle call switching?  What kind of protocol will I need to use to
> convert to sip?
>
> Any pointer or info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark

I've got a blog coming up on this shortly, but I'll comment that there
is a BTS-like project that integrates with Asterisk.  Check out the
"burning man" installation example where they ran Asterisk and OpenBTS
in the desert and enabled all the GSM cell phones in a 1km radius and
uplinked them through Asterisk over a long-haul radio link:

   http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

They need programmers and funding!

JT

---