[asterisk-users] P2P

Jim Dickenson dickenson at cfmc.com
Wed Nov 19 10:52:20 CST 2008

Many phones can do direct dialing. I just tried it with the Grandstream
GXP280 phones I am using to test an application I am developing.

For this test I have the phones connected to each other via an Ethernet
patch cable. Both phones have IP addresses on the same network.  On either
phone I select the option to do "Direct IP call" and enter the IP address of
the phone I want to call. No asterisk or anything involved.

Here is info from the manual:

Making Calls using IP Addresses
Direct IP calling allows two phones to talk to each other in an ad hoc
fashion without a SIP proxy.  VoIP calls can be made between two phones if:
€ Both phones have public IP addresses, or
€ Both phones are on a same LAN/VPN using private or public IP addresses, or
€ Both phones can be connected through a router using public or private IP
addresses (with necessary port forwarding or DMZ)
To make a direct IP call, please follow these steps:
1. Press MENU button to bring up MAIN MENU.
2. Select ³Direct IP Call² using the arrow-keys.
3. Press OK to select.
4. Input the 12-digit target IP address. (Please see example below).
5. Press OK key to initiate call.

To make a quick IP call, please see next section.

For example:  If the target IP address is 192.168.1.60 and the port is 5062
(e.g. 192.168.1.60:5062),
input the following: 192*168*1*60#5062 -   The ³ * ² key represent the
dot³.² ; The ³#² key represent colon ³:².  Press OK to dial out.

Quick IP Call Mode

The GXP also supports Quick IP call mode. This enables the phone to make
direct IP-calls, using only the last few digits (last octet) of the target
phone¹s IP-number. This is possible only if both phones are in under the
same LAN/VPN. This simulates a PBX function using the CMSA/CD without a SIP
server. Controlled static IP usage is recommended.

Setting up the phone to make Quick IP calls
To enable Quick IP calls, the phone has to be setup first. This is done
through the web-setup function. In the ³Advanced Settings² page, set the
"Use Quick IP-call mode to YES. When #xxx is dialed, where x is 0-9 and xxx
<=255, a direct IP call to aaa.bbb.ccc.XXX is completed. ³aaa.bbb.ccc² is
from the local IP address regardless of subnet mask. The numbers #xx or #x
are also valid. The leading 0 is not required (but OK).

For example:
192.168.0.2 calling 192.168.0.3 -- dial #3 follow by SEND or #
192.168.0.2 calling 192.168.0.23 -- dial #23 follow by SEND or #
192.168.0.2 calling 192.168.0.123 -- dial #123 follow by SEND or #
192.168.0.2: dial #3 and #03 and #003 results in the same call -- call
192.168.0.3

NOTE:  If you have a SIP Server configured, a Direct IP-IP still works. If
you are using STUN, the Direct IP-IP call will also use STUN. Configure the
³Use Random Port² to ³NO² when completing Direct IP calls.
--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com

CfMC