[asterisk-users] How long will Asterisk 1.4.x supported/maintained

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Nov 17 12:46:10 CST 2008

Tilghman Lesher schrieb:
> On Thursday 13 November 2008 08:16:42 Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> Is there somewhere a statement from Digium how long they will support
>> Asterisk 1.4?
>
> There is no statement, because we haven't even discussed when the EOL for
> 1.4 will be reached.  Certainly that means it won't happen for at least the
> next 60 days, but beyond that, I really don't know.

For the average non-techie user who does not want to compile
themselves that may sound funny (if not scary).

When Debian Lenny (featuring Asterisk 1.4) is finally going to be
released that version might not even be supported any more.

Does that indicate Debian (don't really know about other distros)
is too slow?
Does it mean the development goes "too fast"?
Is it a problem with VoIP in general?
Does it mean there is no point for a distro to provide VoIP
packages because if you want roughly the version everybody else
is using you will have to compile it anyway?

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com
Amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de