[asterisk-users] iPhone SIP or IAX client (without proxy)?

Lincoln King-Cliby lincoln at controlworks.com
Sun Nov 16 11:07:27 CST 2008

I checked the app store and haven't found anything promising, but I figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone know of a SIP or IAX client for a non-jailbroken iPhone that will communicate directly with a machine running Asterisk?

I know that there's at least one offering that seems like it's essentially a proxy (App runs on iPhone, iPhone talks to 3rd party server, 3rd party server talks to SIP service), but that's not an option we consider viable.

Our Asterisk servers have no IP exposure to the outside world (everything in and out is POTS)-and that's not going to change-but we're using Cisco Security Appliances with VPN access from the outside. The iPhone has Cisco VPN support "out of the box". Ideally, I'd like to get the phones that aren't already on the VPN on the VPN, configure an extension for the phone and give our folks (who split their time about 60% in the office 40% in the field) access to the corporate phone system from the field without having to fire up a laptop and pull out a headset.

TIA,

Lincoln

--

Lincoln King-Cliby, CTS

Applications Engineer

ControlWorks Consulting, LLC

http://www.controlworks.com<http://www.controlworks.com/>

Crestron Authorized Independent Programmer