[asterisk-users] Looking for a good lightweight Linux softPhone

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Sat Nov 15 00:23:24 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Tzafrir Cohen
<tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:34:48PM +0200, Atis Lezdins wrote:

>> > Hmm, reading the thread I assumed you were already running asterisk, since
>> > you did actually post on the asterisk user mailing list.  As was pointed
>> > out you can use the asterisk command line interface to do just what you
>> > are suggesting (assuming you have a compatible sound card), and you could
>> > even wrap it in a simple shell script so you have what you say you want:
>> >
>> > call <number>
>> >
>> > Regardless, if you are planning to write an IAX lib based command line
>> > tool you will need an asterisk server to connect to to place your calls.
>> > I am not understanding where you think the bloatware is coming into play.
>> >
>> > So are you sitting at the console of the machine running asterisk or is
>> > this something that you would use from a standalone *nix workstation that
>> > would use the net to route your call?
>> >

>> A small shell/perl/whatever script that takes care of minimized
>> asterisk config could really kick ass.
>
> What asterisk configuration exactly?

Well, take minimal list of modules, write dialplan of few lines, make
all incoming calls to ring speaker/other configured device.
Probably somebody has done this already, i just haven't seen anything public.

>> I wonder does anybody feels up to the challenge to create/maintain it,
>> and push to common distros.
>
> Both chan_oss and chan_also tend to be disabled by default. This is
> because both can't be loaded (which would generate an error message).
> Asterisk also thinks that it has all the sound channel for itself. Even
> with chan_alsa, IIRC, it is not possible to play any other sound while
> asterisk uses the speaker/microphone.

Script could take care of it, load corresponding module (specified by
command-line arg) etc etc..

Generally i'm thinking to create something like "Asterisk Softphone"
which is full featured softphone, usable from shell.

# asph start alsa 222 at provider.com
# asph add 333 at provider2.com
# asph dial 123 at abc.com
# asph answer