[asterisk-users] Looking for a good lightweight Linux softPhone

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Nov 14 14:27:37 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:34:48PM +0200, Atis Lezdins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at jeff.net> wrote:

> >> Maybe the word "bloatware" got lost in the trans-atlantic translation...
> >>
> >> If I had a command-line program where I could type:
> >>
> >>    call 07712191046
> >>
> >> then I'd be happy. Being able to use the arrow keys to adjust volume would
> >> be a bonus, but I already have a command-line mixer program.
> >>
> >> Gordon (the luddite)
> >>

> > Hmm, reading the thread I assumed you were already running asterisk, since
> > you did actually post on the asterisk user mailing list.  As was pointed
> > out you can use the asterisk command line interface to do just what you
> > are suggesting (assuming you have a compatible sound card), and you could
> > even wrap it in a simple shell script so you have what you say you want:
> >
> > call <number>
> >
> > Regardless, if you are planning to write an IAX lib based command line
> > tool you will need an asterisk server to connect to to place your calls.
> > I am not understanding where you think the bloatware is coming into play.
> >
> > So are you sitting at the console of the machine running asterisk or is
> > this something that you would use from a standalone *nix workstation that
> > would use the net to route your call?
> >

> A small shell/perl/whatever script that takes care of minimized
> asterisk config could really kick ass.

What asterisk configuration exactly?

> I wonder does anybody feels up to the challenge to create/maintain it,
> and push to common distros.

Both chan_oss and chan_also tend to be disabled by default. This is
because both can't be loaded (which would generate an error message).
Asterisk also thinks that it has all the sound channel for itself. Even
with chan_alsa, IIRC, it is not possible to play any other sound while
asterisk uses the speaker/microphone.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com