[asterisk-users] Use DECT GAP handsets with Snom M3 base?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Nov 11 21:00:06 CST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:26:01 -0800, Paul Chambers wrote:

>Anyone have practical experience using inexpensive GAP-compliant DECT
>handsets with the Snom M3 basestation?
>
>When I asked Snom support, the answer was that 'basic functionality
>should work', but they didn't elaborate. I'm _guessing_ that means
>registering/unregistering with the base, making calls, and receiving
>calls (including presenting caller ID). They also stated that they did
>not test with other manufacturer's products (implying 'you're on your
>own'). Pretty much the response I expected.
>
>This would be SOHO/home use. We're using the 'ATA + multi-handset
>cordless phone' approach right now, but there are definitely advantages
>to having Asterisk see each handset as an extension.
>
>Looks like the Snom handsets are running at least US$130 apiece, so it'd
>be an expensive proposition to replace all our handsets. By comparison,
>a mainstream Panasonic DECT 6.0 handset runs ~US$30 (and I already have
>six...).  I'm thinking a couple of 'nice' M3 handsets, and low-cost ones
>for the rest of the house. It's not a big deal if a $30 handset gets
>trashed, but $130 is a different story.
>
>Appreciate any experiences you can share,

Paul,

I have the snom m3 system with two handsets at the moment. My wife
would take issue with your characterisation of the snom handsets as
"nice." She thinks that they're too small and the smooth buttons are a
bother. I have no such reservations. I generally like them.

I have used the m3 side-by-side with a Siemens S685IP. Both claim to be
GAP compliant and yet they worked as totally separate systems. I might
have expected some interaction. Perhaps the snom handset attempting to
register with the siemens based or vice versa. But that did not happen.

There is a well qualified rumour that Siemens will soon be offering
their DECT wares in the US. This is very interesting as some of these
are G.722 capable, although they have some quirks as well. Like no mic
mute button for example. They are cheaper than the snom systems.

Finally, Aastra is about to release their MBU-400, which is a SIP/DECT
system from RTX Telecom...just like snom's m3. It appears to be on move
up the hardware ladder, supporting one POTS line as well as 8 ITSP
accounts. But it's even more expensive than the snom.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com