[asterisk-users] Use DECT GAP handsets with Snom M3 base?

Paul Chambers asterisk at lists.bod.org
Tue Nov 11 20:26:01 CST 2008

Anyone have practical experience using inexpensive GAP-compliant DECT
handsets with the Snom M3 basestation?

When I asked Snom support, the answer was that 'basic functionality
should work', but they didn't elaborate. I'm _guessing_ that means
registering/unregistering with the base, making calls, and receiving
calls (including presenting caller ID). They also stated that they did
not test with other manufacturer's products (implying 'you're on your
own'). Pretty much the response I expected.

This would be SOHO/home use. We're using the 'ATA + multi-handset
cordless phone' approach right now, but there are definitely advantages
to having Asterisk see each handset as an extension.

Looks like the Snom handsets are running at least US$130 apiece, so it'd
be an expensive proposition to replace all our handsets. By comparison,
a mainstream Panasonic DECT 6.0 handset runs ~US$30 (and I already have
six...).  I'm thinking a couple of 'nice' M3 handsets, and low-cost ones
for the rest of the house. It's not a big deal if a $30 handset gets
trashed, but $130 is a different story.

Appreciate any experiences you can share,

-- Paul

p.s. I'm in the U.S.