[asterisk-users] Recommend Wireless IP Phone

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 10 11:48:39 CST 2008

>"naturally wooded" does not bode well for WiFi

True, and it's even worse for the 5.6 GHz stuff that most of DECT is using these days!  The marketing departments have everyone convinced that bigger frequency numbers are better.  For most real-world environments the exact opposite is true.  The only advantage I know of for higher frequency is more available bandwidth and less congestion.

>If the road is fairly straight

More like a boomerang going around the highest part of the hill.

>You may be better off with something that uses lower frequencies

True.  I have an Engenius high power 900 MHz unit that covered the property fairly well and about half of the road, and that with the base station in the walk out basement at about the lowest point on the property.  Unfortunately it went up in smoke one day.  Also in a POTS environment it could only work with one line.

We'll see what this setup does with appropriate location of the base.

Wilton