[asterisk-users] twice normal beep before busy tone ??

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Wed Nov 5 01:59:50 CST 2008

On 5/11/2008 8:43 p.m., Stefan Guenther wrote:
> After I removed the "r" option I now nearly immediately get the busy tone.
>
> BUT: The wiki says "Without this option, Asterisk will generate ring
> tones automatically where it is appropriate to do so; however". What
> does appropriate mean?? After removing the "r" Asterisk starts playing
> the ring tone, when the called phone starts ringing. When the called
> phone is a cell phone, this takes up to 3 seconds. During this time,
> there is silence!

What this means is that if the call is busy, it will play busy tones, if
the call is ringing it will play ringing, congestion, congestion etc.

The reason you are hearing silence is that Asterisk doesn't know what
the status of the call is before that.

The cell phone provider will likely take up to 3 seconds to tell your
machine what is happening with the call.

If you use the 'r' option then it will play ringing tones even if the
phone is busy.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell