[asterisk-users] SPA-962 & Asterisk

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Tue Nov 4 14:48:38 CST 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 6:08 AM, Steve Anness wrote:

> Good Day,
>
> I have been tasked with fixing the time on our asterisk server.  I
> am having a hard time finding documentation to tell my what asterisk
> uses to get its time information to push to phones (or a better
> question, where does the SPA-962 get its time information)?
>
> Basically, I can go under the settings of the phone and change the
> offset to set the correct hour, but it is still about 4 minutes
> fast.  So the SPA-962 has an offset option, but to offset it from
> what?  The time on the asterisk server?  That isn’t right because my
> asterisk server has the correct time.  To offset from GMT?  No
> because I am +6 from GMT not +2.
>
> I can physically set the time, but that is a bitch when you have
> many phones, shouldn’t the phone be syncing with something?
>
> Any thoughts?  I am not finding anything conclusive.
>

> Steve Anness
> ICT Support Analyst
> Humanitarian International Services Group

Your SPA devices almost certainly get their timing data from an NTP
server.  Some devices will find their NTP servers with DHCP options
requests, and I think there is even a Zeroconf method for determining
local NTP servers, but I doubt anyone uses that method.

One of the more novel methods I used a while ago (when I was doing
design for ATAs) was to use the Date: header in the SIP INVITE as the
time set.  The device would know it's GMT offset, and then calculate
what time it was.  It was an ugly hack, and that ATA was the reason
that the Date: header is in INVITEs in Asterisk.  :-)   I was kind of
ashamed of it a while ago (NTP is much more correct solution) but the
more pragmatic I get in my old age, the more elegant it seems.  No NTP
stack to worry about, no additional firewall holes, etc. etc. and
phones really don't need to be super-accurate so NTP is typically
overkill anyway.  ATAs especially, since they don't even display the
date - they just send it along with the Caller ID data when a new call
event is generated.

JT

---
John Todd