[asterisk-users] Blank Voicemail.Conf after Password Change

Leah Newmark lnewmark at capalon.com
Mon Nov 3 12:19:31 CST 2008

Rob,

Thanks for your time and assistance.

The directory is owned by asterisk and permissions seem fine there too:
drwxrwxr-x 9 asterisk asterisk 3072 2008-11-03 13:12 .

I never see a voicemail.conf.new created. I have done a locate on the
whole server and don't see a blank one there either which might be
causing any confusion.

ps xaguwww confirms asterisk is running as UID asterisk:
asterisk 24560  1.0  3.1  50648 32692 ?        Ssl  Oct02 506:35
/usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk

I see that it's been up for a while, and I'm wondering if that coincides
with when we started noticing this behavior. I'd have to restart
asterisk to use strace, but restarting for all I know might help...

Any other input before I do so?

TIA,

LN

asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:

Message: 15 Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 00:22:30 +0000 From: Robert Lister
<robl at linx.net> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Blank Voicemail.Conf after
Password Change To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial
Discussion <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com> Message-ID:
<20081101002230.GE28180 at linx.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:13:56PM -0400, Leah Newmark
wrote:

> > From time to time, voicemail.conf would go blank. We finally tracked it
> > down to happening when someone attempts to change their password.
> > It seems the file is touched, but not written to, and we're left with a
> > blank voicemail file.
> >
> > Permissions seem to be fine:
> > -rw-rw-r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 12707 2008-10-29 12:14
> > /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

I believe what it does it create a new file called voicemail.conf.new in the
same directory and then copies it into place, so worth checking the
permissions on the directory as well, that asterisk can write to it.

> > Asterisk is running as asterisk:
> > 24560 ?        Ssl  409:34 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk

I see your asterisk is running "-U asterisk" but this ps output is
ambiguous. What does ps xaguwww show?

if it really is running as UID asterisk, you should see
something like:

asterisk  8506  0.0  0.6 443672 12912 ?  Ssl  Oct02  31:46 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk

> > Nothing generated from voicemail is showing up in the asterisk logs, nor
> > does the console show any error after changing a password.

Otherwise, it could be some sort of odd file locking issue where multiple
things are trying to write to the same file at once?

Or perhaps you have a blank voicemail.conf.new that it can't erase, sitting
about somewhere?

Maybe try running asterisk under strace to see what happens when you try to
change a password.

Rob