[asterisk-users] Require a Type 102 milliwatt number

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu May 29 08:22:05 CDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Drew Gibson wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:40:34PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>>
>>> I'd have less of a problem if you had simply suggested why you
>>> thought
>>> it should be changed, rather than announcing that you believed
>>> that the
>>> developers were unqualified to write telecommunications software.
>>>

>> A fairly reasonable argument can actually be made in that direction.
>>
>> If you can't keep the tray tables clean of coffee stains, how can we
>> trust you to get the engine maintenance right?  (-- Tom Peters)
>>

> Ooooooh! A dreadful quote!
>
> Good engineers don't care about "tray tables", they care about engine
> maintenance. They put the effort into what they care about, they don't
> waste it on a manager's shallow perception of reality!

I can't believe this conversation has degraded to this point.  How
ridiculous ...

Milliwatt in Asterisk is incorrect.  Tilghman pointed out the
available workaround, which is to use Playtones.

Fixing the source is trivial!  All we have to do is make Milliwatt use
Playtones internally.  It will take a little bit more CPU resources,
because it is generating the tone on the fly instead of reading it
from memory, but who cares?

This change will take me about 10 minutes.  I'll do it today.  If you
want to make sure I don't forget, put it on bugs.digium.com to be safe.

Now, please stop the insanity.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer