[asterisk-users] reload stopping EVERYTHING on CLI and causing havoc.

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:02:52 CDT 2008

Mark Hamilton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I made a change in queues.conf and so tried doing a reload
> app_queue.so in the CLI. (Using 1.4.18). It didn’t seem to do
> anything, infact all action on CLI stopped.
>
> Then, I did a reload. Same thing.
>
> After that there was no other way.. because even stop now wouldn’t
> work, so I did a service asterisk restart
>
> And then asterisk kept giving the same thing on prompt “Died
> successfully” and all that it usually says when you issue a stop now,
> except it kept showing that on root prompt after doing a service
> asterisk restart.
>
> Did a killall asterisk, and finally it stopped.
>
> Then started asterisk service. It was fine.
>
> Did a full restart at night, and it was fine.
>
> NOW, I wanted to do a reload again today mid-day when in full use, and
> it still didn’t work, and ALL of the above happened again.
>
> --
>
> How do I diagnose what’s causing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

I've had this problem before, haven't debugged it. I definitely look
forward to hearing what is said about this.

Example from my recent experience, I wanted to restart the server and so
did

pbx0*CLI> restart now

But nothing happened...system continued to allow calls to take place.
I've found that sometimes exiting and reconnecting to the CLI helps, but
there have been a couple occasions where NOTHING would allow the server
to restart save for a reboot. Even killall asterisk didn't kill the
process....

Sherwood McGowan