[asterisk-users] using gtalk received instant messages in the dialplan

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:29:13 CDT 2008

Hi Erik,

There's ongoing work on the topic, you might be want to have a look at
BJ Weschke's note and branch : http://www.asterisk.org/node/48440 .
The final purpose of this code is to allow users to send/receive AMI
commands over an XMPP connection to Asterisk. Placing an Originate
action in this situation would then answer your need.

You might also be interested in what's being worked here :
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=12569 . Basically, we want to
implement a JabberReceive dialplan application, which along with
JabberSend (or SendText) allows users (as long as they're authorized
to as buddies) to control calls going through the dialplan.

E.g., you can use Asterisk as a Gtalk gateway, by configuring this
sample GoogleTalk context :
[gtalk-in]
exten => s,1,answer()
exten => s,n,SendText("What extension to call?")
exten => s,n,JabberReceive(${CALLERID(name)},RCV_EXT)
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/${RCV_EXT}@sippeer.domain.fr)
exten => s,n,hangup()

Cheers!

Philippe

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Erik de Wild: Tripple-o
<info at tripple-o.nl> wrote:
> I have been doing some reading about gtalk and asterisk. Most of it is
> pointed to enable using gtalk for making phonecalls. Would it be
> possible to use gtalk instant messaging input (just some text send to
> the gtalk account configured on an asterisk box) into the dialplan.
> This way you could use gtalk im to trigger all kind of events like
> sending an sms, adding sip entries to the system, start conferences
> etc. etc.  The basic question is: is it possible to store the received
> Gtalk message into a variable that can be used to trigger events in a
> dialplan (which isn't actually a "dial" plan anymore) or doesn't
> anything like that exists at this moment. Is this just a crazy thought
> or does the idea of triggering events in the dialplan via Gtalk im
> input make sense.
>
> I was thinking about a call with the im message as a variable in it
> starting a local channel that goes into the relevant part of the
> dialplan.
>
> examples:
>
> sms: "Could you please call Mark"  "0612345678"  for sending an sms
> sip_entry:  "500"  "cdwtg_34$"  "ALAW"  "snom320"  for adding a sip
> entry to sip.conf with number 500 and password cdwtg_34$ for a snom320
> conference: "0591234567" "0201234567" "0612345678: for setting up a
> conference between this numbers
>
> All the logic has to be in the dialplan or scripts but it all should
> start with receiving a message send by a gtalk client. My personal
> opinion is that it would make a great and easy to explain user
> interface that can be used from every pc and every pda or smartphone.

Philippe Sultan