[asterisk-users] Fax Machine Options

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue May 20 10:31:13 CDT 2008

Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Lee Howard <faxguy at howardsilvan.com> writes:
>

>> Note that if you have a fax machine that performs some variant of T.37
>> (fax-over-email) and you have an on-line service provider that is
>> willing to work with you... then you can rather easily get your fax
>> machine faxing through their service.  (Which is yet another option.)
>>

> Tell me of a fax machine which can be programmed to do T.37 while
> keeping the same UI as regular faxes, and we'll buy a hundred.
>
> All the ones I've seen require you to type in email addresses instead
> of phone numbers, or use a separate keyboard instead of the usual
> numeric one. That is not acceptable for regular users.

Unfortunately, I'm not well-versed on all fax machine UI's out there.  I
know that several of them perform scan-to-email or T.37 variants of some
kind... Panasonic was one of them.  However, whether or not it was a
seamless and transparent switch to T.37 from analog I am not sure...
because I never really used them.

In the case that I needed T.37 I just built my own "fax machine".

Realize that you, too, can build your own fax machine with a scanner, a
PC, and a modem.  And if you are just doing T.37 you can omit the modem
part.

I used SANE utilities with some PHP to make a simple UI that ran on the
small PC.

Thanks,

Lee.