[asterisk-users] Fax Machine Options

Matt Watson mwatson at becon.org
Tue May 20 08:14:55 CDT 2008

The first part of this is kind of off topic as it doesn't answer OP's original question, but instead is a reply to one of the replies.

Cisco is certainly not the only option for doing T38 gatewaying with Asterisk.

I believe Asterisk 1.6 with app_fax supports T.38 origination and termination, that is not gatewaying, however if origination and termination are already there, gatewaying should be fairly trivial to implement.  I haven't actually tested 1.6 using T.38, however I have read:  http://www.asterisk.org/node/48457

"11873, Added core API changes to handle T.38 origination and termination
(The version of app_fax in Asterisk-addons now supports this.)"

Additionally, there are some 3rd party modules available for Asterisk 1.4 that will add T.38 termination, origination, and gatewaying.  The ones I am thinking of specifically are the ones made by Attractel in there Attrafax package (previously known as Faxterisk): http://www.attrafax.com/attrafax.php

I have used Attrafax before and it works great for us.  We use it in combination with Linksys SPA2102 ATAs.  We had problems with it at first but upgrading the firmware on the Linksys ATAs made the problem go away.  In our case we have a PRI however and are not using SIP connections over the internet.

Another option as you have already stated is using a SIP provider that supports T.38 such as gafachi.

However in this particular case I understand the OP has already provisioned DIDs from a SIP provider, assuming one of these DIDs is your fax number you may find yourself with a bit of a problem if your provider does not support T.38.  You may have some luck with faxing w/o T.38 using G.711a/u over the internet, but it will be patchy at best, you will probably find you will have many failed faxes doing this.  Using G.711a/u internally over a LAN is one thing (still wouldn't recommend it, but you would get a high success rate), but doing it over the internet is a completely different story.  If you have no real PSTN connections and are SIP only, your provider *must* support T.38 to achieve an acceptable success rate.

If your DIDs are already on print materials and your provider doesn't support T.38, the only options I would see for you are:

1) Have your Fax DID ported to another SIP provider that does support T.38, you can leave your voice ones with your current provider
2) Get a new DID from a another SIP provider and re-print all of your materials (probably incredibly expensive)

--
Matt