[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun May 18 23:13:05 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:32:01PM -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
>> > I guess I hate to see something I have viewed as such a huge paradigm
>> > shift and disruptive force from selling boxes to selling knowledge.
>>
>> If I buy a bare DL380 from you, will it cost the same as a fully loaded
>> DL380 configured, optimized, and guaranteed to handle 400 seats? I think
>> you sell your "knowledge" as well as a "box" as well as your time.
>
> This is a good point, so let me expand it:
>
> Steve (Totaro): *this is what your clients are paying you for*.  To
> know those answers.
>
> Are you turning around and bitching that someone isn't giving you those
> answers for free so you can charge clients for them?  :-)

snipped

They do indeed pay me to know those answers but really more how to
pull off the impossible.

I am complaining that they should be provided by Digium.  I have an
early source of some funding for benchmarking, so it certainly will
not be free.  To the vendors it will.  I will do their jobs for them.

About the selling of the HP DL 380, I very rarely purchase the
equipment myself because hardware markup is a joke.  I get a quote
from my guys, and then tell the customer who to call and what to order
from my rep at PCConnection or CDW.  It not only helps with cash flow,
I don't have to collect or account for sales tax.  This offsets any
small profit from hardware, phones included.

It is all about selling my knowledge, time, and expertise.  Showing
the customer I am making nothing off the hardware makes my fees more
palatable.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro