[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun May 18 22:57:17 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:32:01PM -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
> > I guess I hate to see something I have viewed as such a huge paradigm
> > shift and disruptive force from selling boxes to selling knowledge.
>
> If I buy a bare DL380 from you, will it cost the same as a fully loaded
> DL380 configured, optimized, and guaranteed to handle 400 seats? I think
> you sell your "knowledge" as well as a "box" as well as your time.

This is a good point, so let me expand it:

Steve (Totaro): *this is what your clients are paying you for*.  To
know those answers.

Are you turning around and bitching that someone isn't giving you those
answers for free so you can charge clients for them?  :-)

> In the interest in starting the process, here are a couple of metrics I'd
> be interested in.
>
> ) What is the maximum number of simultaneous calls (1 on 1 conversations)
> that can be bridged before call quality is impaired>
>
> ) What is the maximum number of simultaneous calls that can be put into a
> single meetme conference before call quality is impaired>
>
> ) What is the maximum number of 3 person (agent, customer, supervisor)
> meetme conferences before call quality is impaired>
>
> How do you objectively measure call quality? Pass a sine wave at the upper
> and lower range of a human voice and compare the waveforms?

No, actually there are benches for that; cell providers have a standard
or two, I think.

> How do you construct a "standard" benchmark test bed? 2 identical Asterisk
> systems, 1 beating on the other?
>
> These metrics should be run for each technology (IAX, SIP, TDM via T1, TDM
> via USB) as well as Asterisk version (1.2, 1.4, 1.6)
>
> There are a lot of variables (OS flavor, OS version, OS tweaks, gcc
> version, network interface and driver, etc.) that need to be identified
> and as we collect more samples we may discover that some of these
> variables are important and some are not. This implies that at least in
> the "beta" stage of developing a benchmark, submitters must "own" their
> samples and be willing to re-run tests as the benchmark is refined.

Oh yeah; it's not a small job.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.