[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Mike Trest - On Travel Mike at Trest.COM
Sat May 17 12:58:48 CDT 2008

Al, Randy, (and others):

What Al calls "one very weak area" for Asterisk is IMHO a difference
in market perceptions.
Asterisk is positioned for CPE - PBX - Appliance market which needs
feature-rich appeal
and mass-market focus.

Using asterisk for "large scale" does not mean that I have used it as
a large scale PBX.
Indeed, the "FARM" approach that we will be discussing on Friday 23rd
is for very-large
scale deployments with a reduced-feature-set focus.

Simply put, this is not on Digium'a program for broad market
push.  Rightfully, Digium is
expecting it's distribution channels to push it  CPE-PBX and mass
market solutions.

So it is up to the thousands of Asterisk consultants to be aware of
these techniques
and to serve the much smaller number of clients (mostly VoIP network
operators)
who need to deploy very large scale networks.

Indeed,  I am now working on a design now that supports 100,000+
simultaneous participants
in an application specific deployment.   In this scale of telephony
application, the issues of
IP bandwidth and PSTN carrier access points are much more difficult
to manage than anything
related to the Asterisk platform.

If this is your interest, then drop in
http://voipusersconference.org     The context of the discussion
is NON-COMMERCIAL. I have no product or service for sale.  I am just
discussing a different approach
to using Asterisk.

..mike..