[asterisk-users] Connecting a PSTN gateway to Asterisk using PRI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri May 16 09:45:56 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pascal Maugeri
<pascal.maugeri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a system (S) that has a PSTN gateway to accept incoming calls and
> setup outgoing calls from/to Telco network. In the other hand I have a
> distant Asterisk box (A) that I would like to connect to (S) using the PRI
> interface.
>
> I understand that the proper way is to order to my Telco two PRI lines one
> for (S) and another for (A), and configure (S) and (A) to call each other
> numbers when they have to interconnect.
>
> Now, might it be possible to connect directly (A) and (S) using their PSTN
> interfaces without having to go through to my Telco ?! Does it make sense ?
> Is it technically feasible ? I guess that the Telco network is providing
> routing, number assignation, etc. and it sounds pointless to do this.
> Nevertheless could you confirm it is possible/impossible and why ? Is there
> a better way to do that ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pascal

You could price out a point to point T1 between A and S and then send
the traffic over via VoIP.  You could use LCR hop on and hop off.
Provide your own routing and number assignment (beyond what is
required by the telco.

I guess it comes down to the cost of the point to point.  The calls
between sites would be free as they are VoIP.

You could also eliminate getting the second voice T1 at the remote
location if you don't really need all those channels or you could get
the second T1 in the first site and use Asterisk to handle routing for
local or calls to go over the point to point connection.

Some people will say you can just go over the public internet, but I
don't recommend it.  It "may" work OK but what if it doesn't?  What
are your calls worth?

Thanks,
Steve Totaro