[asterisk-users] Question about SS7

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Thu May 15 05:07:49 CDT 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:06:54 -0400, Alexander Lopez wrote:

> SS7 helps carriers maximize the use of the circuits that interconnect
> them with others. Instead of using a channel and having it open for 30
> seconds as the call is setup, user gets signaling (busy, ringing, not in
> service), and call is torn down. It can  get the result in a split
> second with out using any of my channels, all out of band and digital
> rather than analog, (see 2600 signaling)

simplistically, ss7 is like sip which sets up the call, and the circuit
itself is the rtp streams which are then built when the call is connected.
likewise, you can have the sip exchange go through one path/route and rtp
through another.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/