[asterisk-users] Question about SS7

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed May 14 15:37:06 CDT 2008

mark morreny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read about SS7 recently and learnt that it is a signalling
> protocol used in PSTN for call management, setup, etc.  The thing that I
> don't understand is how SS7 plays a role in VOIP.  When I make calls
> between landline and Asterisk via PSTN, I don't need to do anything with
> SS7.  Is it because the SS7 signalling is already done by Asterisk
> already?  From the prespective of implementing Asterisk, what kind of
> SS7 support is needed?  Is SS7 something needs to be concerned about
> when using Asterisk with T1/E1?

That depends entirely on the application of Asterisk.

In general, as others have commented, SS7 does not play a role in VoIP
and does not concern you as an Asterisk user.

SS7 is an out-of-band signaling system is used inside telcos for
trunking between network elements -- mainly softswitches or traditional
big-iron TDM switches (such as the Lucent 5E, Nortel DMS, etc.) -- and
to provide certain database access features used by that type of
equipment and service provider, such as LNP (Local Number Portability
information), CNAM (directory listings), certain billing processes, etc.
SS7 operates on a carrier level and at global dimensions.

In other words, the phone company's switches talk to each other -- and
to other phone companies' switches -- using SS7.  That is why it is
irrelevant to your PSTN experience as an end-user.  You never see any SS7.

SS7 is _not_ used at the network edge, and is _not_ commonly used in
handoff to users, even ones who order very large amounts of access
circuits from a telco.  These are typically done as PRI and ISDN PRI
signaling is used to control them;  that is a completely different
animal than SS7 signaling.  You can still aggregate PRIs into trunk
groups, couple T1s full of B channels into one logical signaling group
controlled by a single D channel using NFAS, etc.  There is no need to
do SS7 outside of an inter-carrier environment.  So, while I don't know
exactly what sort of service you are envisioning when you say "with
T1/E1," if it's available to you, it probably does not use SS7.

Where SS7 can become somewhat relevant is if you are a CLEC trying to
get away with using Asterisk in some switching capacity, and are wanting
to interconnect with a carrier in the full sense of the term (as in,
actual interconnection, not access circuits).  That's typically done
over SS7.  But Asterisk is completely the wrong tool for that job anyway.

In other words, for all practical intents and purposes, you don't need
SS7 and do not need to know about it.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems