[asterisk-users] Question about SS7

Mik Cheez michael_bulk at wildgate.com
Wed May 14 15:08:16 CDT 2008

You can think of it like cable TV.  You aren't required (at the moment)
to have cable to receive television signals, but if you want extra
features you have to go with cable (or something like it).

With a PSTN line, you can make calls, send caller-id, etc. but SS7
allows you to receive large amounts of data, allows you to grow your
network over 100 T1's, etc.

Asterisk doesn't natively do SS7 signalling, but I know there are ways
of doing it using third party drivers and soforth.  Most importantly,
you need a way to connect to a SS7 network (e.g. connection at a
collocation).

This is an overly simplistic explanation, but there's lots more
information out there on the benefits.

Mik