[asterisk-users] BLF Compatible Phones

dgray at xevio.com dgray at xevio.com
Tue May 13 14:50:19 CDT 2008

I am new to asterisk and am looking to setup a small office with 4-6 IP
phones and 4 analog lines from the local telco (primary line with HUNT
to the other lines). I am considering purchase of a Digium AEX800.

One of the features that will be important (particularly for the
receptionist desk is to show status of the other lines in use). I don't
want the receptionist to pick up a line if it being used.

Is there a list of phones that are BLF (Busy Lamp Field) compatible? I'm
assuming (after reading tons of misc articles) that this is what I need
in order for the receptionist not to pick up lines in use. If this is
not the case please set me straight.

I am considering the cisco 7960's, linksys SPA942, and possibly some
polycom phones. I was leaning toward the 7960 but I've read that it is
not BLF compatible. Are there any workarounds for this? I am new to the
game and would be grateful for any recommendations on which phones would
be the easiest to setup, etc. I currently have a working asterisk
install at home with a single cisco 7960 registered which isn't hooked
up to any trunks as of yet.

Thanks,

Dayton Gray