[asterisk-users] Best Linux distribution to use in Asterisk server

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri May 9 13:29:58 CDT 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Al Baker wrote:

> this often becomes a religious discussion.
> my free advice worth all you paid for it - Redhat or one of the other
> distros that has been Certified on your choice of hardware and which has
> a Support Contract on  it. Despite what others will tell you... Its a
> lonely place when your box no-workie and you have no support contract.
> if you buy Redhat on an HP box that is certified for it. It WILL work or
> they WILL get it working.
> sure maybe someone somewhere on some mailing list has the answer. But
> you got 96 lines down  with a box
> and customers screaming....... You want to hope, that maybe, someone
> will respond an respond correctly to
> your problem on a mailing list, or call a Customer Support Center
> staffed 24x7 with engineers trained on your specific hardware and you
> specific O/S ?

I've used CentOS without any OS issues.

Doesn't the "certified" support thing die a quick death when you install
"non-certified" kernel drivers like Zaptel? Or "upgrade" to a current
kernel?

Crap like "try it without the driver your application won't run without
and if you still have a problem call back?"

Thanks in advance,