[asterisk-users] asterisk queue cluster

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:20:20 CDT 2008

Hello,

VICIDIAL is completely separate of Asterisk queues and does not use
them at all. It uses a database to keep track of all calls and agent
availability and when a call comes into the inbound AGI script the
system looks for the next agent in line no matter what server they are
on and will send the call to them.

The Asterisk Queues code is not really written to handle calls in this
way and when you get to hundreds of calls in the queue there are a lot
of issues that can come up with Asterisk Queues.

When I started coding VICIDIAL 5 years ago I tried to use app_queue
but was frustrated by how it kept changing from version to version, as
well as the limitations of it, and (at the time) the fairly serious
bugs. So I built VICIDIAL around AGIs, manager interface daemons and
agents in meetme rooms. This allowed for extra flexibility as well as
the ability to run the same codebase on many different version of
Asterisk. There is a slight extra load cost for these advantages, but
the ability to cluster many Asterisk servers together greatly
overrides that problem in my opinion.

MATT---