[asterisk-users] better enumlookup handler

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed May 7 14:54:46 CDT 2008

Slightly off-topic:

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:29:47AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I guess a code audit will tell.  :-)  Although I got an impression that
> it was written in PHP.  I'm not much of a fan of PHP.  Don't really see
> the point for something so simple.  Bash, Perl (without the overhead of
> PHP) or even an executable-from-C seems more appropriate for something
> as relatively simple.

Shell scripts are often very inefficient with respect to execution time.
They often use subprocesses and other programs for relatively simple
tasks. While running a simple bash (or better: dash) is faster than
running perl or php, running a modestly complex shell script is often
slower than running the same thing with perl.

The shell has also relatively poor handling of bad input. If someone can
sneak in '`' or such in the wrong place at the input, the results can
sometimes be, well, interesting.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com