[asterisk-users] Newbie alert: VoIP hardware

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed May 7 02:38:11 CDT 2008

Steve Repo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please forgive me for i'm not an asterisk user yet. I've done as much
> research as I can .. and have the following questions.
>
> I'm setting up a new office and a home office and i'm shopping for
> hardware.
>
> Office: 2 analog lines
> Hardware: TDM412B (2 FXO, 1FXO)
> Link: http://www.voipsupply.com/index.php?cPath=99_555_556
> Cost: $303
>
> Home: 1 analog line
> Hardware: TDM421B (2 FXS, 1 FXO)
> Link: http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=3980
> Cost: $300

If you only have one analogue line why not just get a simple x100p card?
When you use OSLEC with them they work great here in the UK. I bought my
card from a USA based eBay seller. Total cost for card and shipping was
about £17.00

> Questions:
> [1] Can I use oslec for echo cancellation? I'll have beefy hardware.
> Is echo cancellation necessary?

I would think you will always want to have EC. Whether you will need
oslec or not is another matter. If the standard MG2 sounds crap, try
oslec. MG2 couldn't deal with echo on my x100p. Oslec is pretty much
perfect.

I don't think you will need "beefy hardware" either. I have our Asterisk
server running on a Via CN700 (1Ghz) along with lots of other
applications. No troubles. Of course it is a home box and not heavily
used but hey - the mobo only draws about 7W!

If you want to know more about it see my sig below. There's a series of
articles about setting up and building a home server with Asterisk and
other bits and bobs.

HTH

Alan

--