[asterisk-users] Dialplan, Extensions, etc. Worksheet

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon May 5 16:10:20 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
>> Has anyone created a worksheet they can share for designing a dialplan,
>>  extensions, voicemail, etc.
>>
>>  I'm making my way through the O'Reilly Book (dead tree version) and
>>  finding it enlightening.  I have hacked at dialplans created by others
>>  but never actually came up with a design for my own system.  It's sort
>>  of a work in progress made of bits and pieces from all over.
>>
>>  Having a real plan would probably make things easier.
>>

>>  Rod
>>  --
>
> Rod,
>
> You will be glad that you are taking the learning curve plunge down
> the road.  No pain, no gain.
>
> I can certainly say that I am glad I got into Asterisk way before
> there was any real documentation or GUIs for that matter.  It forced
> me to learn the real deal Asterisk through trial and error which is
> invaluable if you plan on really getting into it.
>
> Then again, if you want easy, use a GUI.

Easy isn't what I'm after.  I was hoping for planning worksheets.
Something to go over with a customer (I know I said this was for my
personal system but that is the first step).  How many extensions/
phones/ softphones, and what their /numeric/ extension will be.  An IVR
plan and the text that goes with it, voice-mail handling and mailboxes, etc.

This type of stuff.

So from the minimal number of responses -- yours :-) -- I'm going to
guesstimate no one has anything like this at all or that they can or are
able/willing to share.

Out comes the notepad and the thinking cap.  /-|

Cheers,
Rod