[asterisk-users] FW: Asterisk 3rd party developed commercial software sales licensing platform

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon May 5 11:56:57 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:33:49PM -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
> Thanks Olle,
>
> Concentrating on your 3rd point;
>
> > A third item is the ability for a marketplace for addons that doesn't
> > require licensing from Digium. Tools that connect over manager and/or
> > AGI/FastAGI. I think we could be better at putting these to market
> > than we are - internally in the community. I've seen plenty of tools
> > during my meetings with community people at conferences and trainings,
> > tools that could find resellers and distributors world-wide if we had
> > the internal network for it.
>

> Can you offer some suggestions or advice about how best to license these
> applications?
>
> Is tying it to a nic address like the G729 model a good idea?

If using g729 legally wouldn't have forced me to use G729, I would have
skipped that annoying thing. The price is the really small part.

It is quite trivial to bypass. But what happens when you want to copy
your setup to a different system? Do you really want to have to think
about this silly licensing thing?

Let's say that the server is fried and I restore the backup to a
different system. And I don't have internet connection. And sadly this
is a weekend so no support@ is available. Do I really have to wait?
(Or use the codec illegally?)

I don't want to have to be in such a position. This is what I meant by
licensing overhead.

In the case of the g729 license there is a patent rights holder that
insists on per-usage license. This usage license turns out to be a pain
to enforce, in practice. I consider it to be a very poor model.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com