[asterisk-users] FW: Asterisk 3rd party developed commercial software sales licensing platform

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon May 5 07:21:09 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 07:24:48AM -0400, Dean Collins wrote:

> If there was some common marketplace that developers could sell small -
> low cost third party applications to the Asterisk community that Digium
> had some type of overview/management control over who listed etc that
> this would deliver a stream of revenue that would encourage further
> application development.

I see quite a few third-party applications developed around Asterisk.

A recent entry:

http://astcdrview.berlios.de/

  astCDRview is a lightweight, Web-based, multi-language Asterisk SQLite
  CDR viewer that supports multiple outgoing carriers, multiple incoming
  numbers, billing, an address book, and extensions

(as seen on Freshmeat)

I don't think that application is something that only needs to be sold.
If this will be the case, we'll end up with locked cages that cannot be
integrated well into solid solutions by integrators.

If that short-term profit and no feedback is what you're after, then
sure, go ahead.

> The question I then posed to the group was if anyone knew how Digium
> managed the sale and licensing of the G729 codes.
> And if this was an open published standard that could it be used as the
> basis for the Asterisk ecosystem license model.

I personally consider the current g729 licensing as a usage annoyance.
Yet another example of the silly licensing overhead caused by proprietary
software.

(Use speex)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen