[asterisk-users] China vaults past USA in Internet users - now 220 million users in China

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Sat May 3 10:27:19 CDT 2008

China has surpassed the USA as the No. 1 nation in Internet users.

The number of Chinese on the Internet hit more than 220 million as of
February.
http://mobileanalytics.com/forum/index.php?topic=28.0

I wonder how Americans are going to handle this little turn of events.

What is really interesting in the rest of the article it discusses how
the percentage of penetration for china is 17% of it's 1.3 Billion
population versus 71% penetration of the USA's population of 304 million
people.

So with China expected to increase another 13 million users this month
alone (March 2008) to 233 million users how long before there are more
people using the internet in China than the entire population of the USA
(I'm guessing about 7 months so about the end of this year).

Does anyone in the Asterisk community have a good website for getting
accurate voip minutes or some other field of reference for how
successful voip penetration is in the respective countries? Would be
interesting to see what countries are leading Voip implementation
penetration regardless of whether it is Asterisk or Avaya etc etc.

I know everyone freaked when Trixbox was collecting stats but I think it
would be great for someone to write a small 'anonymous collection
module' that an Asterisk sys-admin could download and install on their
asterisk server which uploaded the stats to a community website.

Even if it just collected number of new installations globally this
would be a huge help to people selling asterisk to their customers who
continually ask "I've heard about this Asterisk open source stuff but
how many are there installed globally anyway?"

Regards,

Dean Collins
dean at cognation.net
Cognation Limited
+1-212-203-4357
+61-2-9016-4652 (Sydney indial)

P.S. In case you are wondering Australia has a piddling little 15m users
but this is against a pop of only 20.5m so the Internet penetration is
actually higher than the USA.