[asterisk-users] Newbie: How to remote test a call prolem in an Asterisk site?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu May 1 03:53:09 CDT 2008

On 1 May 2008, at 08:17, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:
> I will be installing Asterisk in a few offices which I don't have any
> colleagues over there to help me.
> Let's suppose I installed Asterisk in such a site.  I tested it to my
> satisfaction and I went back to my home office.
> One day, a customer called me to say that he had a problem calling out
> or something.
> Is there any way I could test out the problem myself remotely (apart
> from READING the message on the console when the customer tested) or I
> just have to believe what the customer tells me?
> Can anyone share their experience with me please?

Send the logs to a syslog server.

logger.conf

[logfiles]
syslog.local0 => debug, warning, error, notice, verbose

... then configure a syslog program on the asterisk box to send
syslogs to your centralised syslog server that you use for clients you
support.

You will then be able to see the log messages generated on your own
equipment, without needing access to the asterisk box.  However, you
will need to log into the asterisk box to make changes as per your
customers' requirements !

Andy