[asterisk-users] Upgraded to 1.4.18 (from 1.2.27) and channels dropping on Zaptel and SIP

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Mar 27 13:58:31 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:32:28AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>  > People on the list (mainly dev) want you to test, find bugs, jump
>  > through hoops, and post to Mantis (where you bug might just be closed,
>  > or a general feeling of "You are wrong".  All of this testing is free
>  > of course due to the "Benefit of the Community".
>  >
>  > In the real world, it would serve you better to do what works best for
>  > your business.  Don't let the "Dev" guys push you around, do what
>  > makes sense to your business.
>
>  Ok, Steve... I understand both sides of this issue, and the one you're
>  handwaving is "how much did you pay for Asterisk?"
>
>  Nothing in life is free, and people who prefer to use the no-Cost
>  Asterisk as a PBX base instead of paying Nortel mumble-thousand for an
>  Option 11 still ought to be prepared to invest *something* in their
>  outcome.
>
>  Being a participating member of the open source community; feeding bugs
>  back to the developers and the like; that's how you 'pay your bill'
>  when the software doesn't cost anything.
>
>  Sure, *everyone's* not *required* to do it.
>
>  But people inclined to use Asterisk ought to be figuring some of this
>  into their value equation.  If it's too troublesome...well, buy a box
>  from someone.
>
>  No?
>
>  Cheers,

I am a user and a high level integrator, none of what you mention
applies to me.  Maybe in a lab if I had time...

I run multi million dollar call centers and very demanding PBXs, it is
not in customer's best interest to run buggy code, therefore it is
also not in my best interest.

It is a similar relationship to corporations and their stockholders,
the corp must do what is in the best interest of the shareholder.  I
like to call it good business, none of this rebooting daily, weekly,
monthly crap.

Maybe if you lost $26k/hr due to outages, you might feel differently....

Asterisk is a loss leader for the hardware (cards, appliances,
support, ABE) that is why it is free.  Otherwise Asterisk would be
vaporware.

Anyways, Asterisk has many costs but I guess you never took Econ 101
or above in college.

I have brought Asterisk to the attention of CSC, The US State Dept,
large corporations, and foreign governments, is that some form of
contribution to the community?  I think promotion is a full time job
in some outfits.

By the way, I use the best components to build my systems and my
consulting fee is pretty nice, so you are right, nothing is free.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro