[asterisk-users] Upgraded to 1.4.18 (from 1.2.27) and channels dropping on Zaptel and SIP

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 27 13:38:51 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:32:28AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> People on the list (mainly dev) want you to test, find bugs, jump
> through hoops, and post to Mantis (where you bug might just be closed,
> or a general feeling of "You are wrong".  All of this testing is free
> of course due to the "Benefit of the Community".
>
> In the real world, it would serve you better to do what works best for
> your business.  Don't let the "Dev" guys push you around, do what
> makes sense to your business.

Ok, Steve... I understand both sides of this issue, and the one you're
handwaving is "how much did you pay for Asterisk?"

Nothing in life is free, and people who prefer to use the no-Cost
Asterisk as a PBX base instead of paying Nortel mumble-thousand for an
Option 11 still ought to be prepared to invest *something* in their
outcome.

Being a participating member of the open source community; feeding bugs
back to the developers and the like; that's how you 'pay your bill'
when the software doesn't cost anything.

Sure, *everyone's* not *required* to do it.

But people inclined to use Asterisk ought to be figuring some of this
into their value equation.  If it's too troublesome...well, buy a box
from someone.

No?

Cheers,
-- jr 'I am not now, nor have I ever been.... a dev' a

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)