[asterisk-users] Unable to obtain dialed number through ZAP

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Mar 26 09:57:19 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:49:31AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, mark morreny wrote:
> > What I need to do is to try to route called based on the dialed number as I
> > have multiple DIDs on my line.  Is this something that can be done?  Is this
> > something to do with the hardware that I am using?  If so, what kind of
> > hardware do I need to accomplish this task?
>
> Based on this and your other posts, I'd suggest that it's not possible
> with your setup. Telephnoe companies don't normally send the called phnoe
> number down analogue lines, just the calling number (and even if they did,
> I'm not sure asterisk has a means to extract it)

You're talking about DNIS: Dialled Number Identification Service.

Some telcos can provide it on some analog services, usually those
described as DID, terminated on Dialogic DID-120 cards, and sold to
answering services run by little old ladies with 4-digit nixie tube
display boxes on the shelf next to the WeCO 300 (and no, to coin a
phrase, I am *not* making this up).

IOW: Yeah, go get ISDN.

Cheers,
-- jra