[asterisk-users] CCM and multiple trunks

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Tue Mar 25 11:10:07 CDT 2008

Aaron wrote:
> Okay, another Cisco related issue (sorry!).

> Single Asterisk box at location 1.
> Single Cisco box at location 2, however the Cisco is
> also the PBX for location 3 (same physical machine, calls
> routed via VoIP).

> Trying to have Asterisk be able to call EITHER Call Manager
> location. The single SIP trunk in CCM (version 6.1 mind you)
> only allows a single device pool to be selected. So configuring
> calls to one location...no problem. One location at a time that
> is.

All you are missing is a translation of CCM terms into Asterisk
concepts.

A CCM Device Pool is similar to a context, a logical grouping
Of devices.  CCM extends the concept in that Device Pool membership
controls/aids device provisioning.

There is one major difference, and that is membership in a
common Device Pool DOES NOT mean devices can call each other.
Call 'routing' is handled by Calling Search Spaces.  You want
to have a CSS that included both locations Device Pools and
assign that CSS to the trunk.

The major caveat there is that the two locations should have
non-overlapping dialplans.  If they do overlap, you will need
Translation Patterns, which can strip/prepend digits and be
configured to search a different CSS

> If I want to be able to call the 3rd location I have to select
> a separate device pool and restart the trunk. Then calls to the
> 2nd location stop working.

> Multiple trunks in CCM doesn't appear to fix the issue, and
> creating multiple SIP profiles isn't permitted apparently.

> Any thoughts?

Hope that helps...