[asterisk-users] estimation on phone network capacity

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon Mar 24 14:29:36 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 14:29 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> mark morreny wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am working on deploying voip for my company and would like to seek
> > some advice on the number of E1 lines we need to rent.  Our telco told
> > us that there can be at most 30 concurrent channels on an E1 line.
> > Typically, what is the maximum number of DIDs that we can allocate to
> > that E1 line before users get frequent "all lines are busy"?  We are
> > running a support center with mostly incoming calls.  Is there any rule
> > of thumb that are typically used for this kind of estimation?
>
> That depends on the application.
>
> In general, phone lines for voice (not fax or modem) are considered to
> have a 30:1 oversubscription ratio, but that can vary immensely.
>
> Also, it is instructive to inquire what portion of the DIDs will be used
> with what frequency, and whether the distribution is truly uniform.
> VoIP is a DID-intensive industry;  often, DIDs are assigned to every
> employee in an organisation so that everyone has one in principle, even
> if relatively few people actually use them.

At my former employer, a telco equipment supplier, they used for the
normal office area a 10:1 oversubscription ratio.
For inbound line, like faxes no oversubscription.
But that is for any ordinary office with people doing research &
development, pre-aftersales support...

But for a support centre, you might ask whether you want any
oversubscription at all. As the main job for the people is accepting
inbound phone calls. Ask yourself (or your team) Should a customer get a
message that all staf are busy, (and put them in a waiting queueue with
a fifo) or that a customer should get "all lines are busy" and have to
dial another fifty time before he gets through...

As a customer, i would rather opt for the first one, but can you afford
that?

hw