[asterisk-users] More DTMF issues

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Thu Mar 20 11:31:22 CDT 2008

To add some further details to this thread I set up a "Monitor" command
that records just the IVR portion of an incoming call.  I left the m
flag off so I could listen to the incoming audio separate from the
outgoing recording.  On calls where the DTMF detection works correctly I
only hear extremely short clips of the DTMF tone in the incoming audio
sample.  They usually sound like just a click in the audio stream but
there is a hint of the DTMF tone in the background.  I'm assuming that
Asterisk and/or my X100P is recognizing the DTMF tones immediately and
muting them out of the audio path as soon as they are detected.  What
gets left behind is just the initial sample.

The calls where DTMF detection is not working sound completely
different.  The tones in those audio streams are very loud and very
distorted.  It sounds almost like an old Atari 2600 video game instead
of DTMF tones.  The odd thing is that I can hear a hint of the correct
tone in the background of the audio.  When the caller is routed to the
operator extension the voice audio quality is fine.  Also, our outgoing
greeting is noticeably quieter than the incoming DTMF tones so it
shouldn't be interfering.  I currently have rxgain set at 0.0 and have
to set txgain to 4.5 or callers complain that our outgoing audio is too
quiet.

As much as I would love to say this is a problem with the Caller's PBX I
just don't see how that's possible.  They never had any problems calling
us with our old phone system, and it is not limited to any one caller.

Thanks,
Brent Davidson