[asterisk-users] Newbie Asterisk: Disaster Recovery Proof Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Mar 20 03:32:00 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:27:47AM -0400, Al Baker wrote:
>  From a lot of experience - you are not being anywhere near paranoid
> enough !!!!!!!!!!
> Think dual RAID controllers, Dual power supplies off of, at a Minimum,
> separate isolated circuits, with Hefty UPS that is in-line so it filters
> the power,  think mirrored systems with a simple from switch from Black
> Box that will throw the lines over to the working box. Think -hmmm, how
> to keep v-mail between boxes in sync. Think remote console access to the
> server below multi-user level
> Think... is your azz is on the line for this install, I would give real
> consideration about doing this until you hzve a better plan, more $$$ in
> hand or a SLA  to the end user that is very very forgiving.
> My 2 cents, worth all that you pad for it :)

Hmmm..... Isn't it simpler and cheaper to just keep a backup system?

Dual- everything means a more complex system and hence more chances of
something to go wrong (be that due to misconfiguration).

Before jumping up and throwing hardware at the problem, think what the
problem actually is. For instance, why a RAID? What are the important
data we wish to keep?

Can you afford loosing a couple of hours of records in case of such a
disaster (from your last copy).

Oh, and something in the news from yesterday:
http://lwn.net/Articles/274079/

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com