[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk ready for Prime-Time?

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:26:37 CDT 2008

Excellent topic and points brought up by all!

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
>  Think of Asterisk not as a PBX but as a PBX toolkit. Various people in
That's always been the way I saw asterisk. I wondered why people
sometimes try to interface it with legacy pbx hardware, but over the
years it became obvious that if you can get that working, it adds
features to a reliable workhorse people are happy with. My small
business has used asterisk built on hardware from the closet, a drive
here, a mobo there, half a gig, two FXO cards and one TDM400P, 12 SIP
or IAX providers, three phones and every SIP phone I can afford to
mess with. It works very reliably until I try to do something to the
dialplan I don't understand fully. Once I get that figured out and
leave it alone, the box runs half a year before I reboot it on
principle, or recently to replace the CPU fan.

Bottom line, definitely ready for prime time for small operations IMO
and a godsend! I'm currently playing with Digium's appliance and I
hope to retire the old PC when we move in a few months.