[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk ready for Prime-Time?

Ron Arts ron.arts at neonova.nl
Wed Mar 19 14:39:37 CDT 2008

Senad Jordanovic wrote:
>> 130 physical extensions including 24x7 inbound call centre
>>
>> Debian on Dell server
>>
>> root at asterisk:~# uptime
>>  13:15:31 up 192 days, 23:49,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
>
> here is one more running multi tenant Hosted PBXes:
>
> saul ~ # uptime
>   18:59:11 up 263 days, 23:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.96, 0.49, 0.35
> saul ~ #
>

> Senad

I can do that too:

[root at voip root]# uptime
  20:14:40 up 533 days,  2:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.11, 0.16, 0.17

but it's meaningless. Machine uptime doesn't say *anything* about user
experience of course.

I have installed many systems ranging from 3 to 3000 endpoints
using asterisk. These systems handled up 180 simultaneous calls
for years while using in-machine E1 cards.

I have encountered many, many problems with asterisk, libpri, bri-stuff,
zaptel, hardware and my own stupidity.

My EUR .02 (sorry, dollars are worth even less ;):

It's not asterisk that needs to be ready for prime time.
It's you. Asterisk is a moving target that is being developed by
programmers. Every version fixes problems, but introduces new ones.

So you need to be prepared to dive in, try to create a stable
distribution for yourself, and thoroughly inspect the changes that
go into each new version, to see if they will bite you.
Same holds for cards, hardware and everything you change yourself.

Asterisk can be ready for primetime. But only if you make it
your main source of income.

Ron