[asterisk-users] Hardphone SIP phone costs

Horwich IT Services (Godwin Stewart) g.stewart at horwits.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 11:22:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:32:44 -0400, "Anciso, Roy" <roy at manistee.org> wrote:

> When I starting thinking about it, can anyone else see a time when desk
> phones are replaced by smart phones? Why would a company pay for work
> cell phone and desk phone when one device could potentially do it all?

Definitely.

I have a Nokia N95, which does precisely what you say. When I'm home (I
work from home) it's hooked up to my Asterisk setup over the WLAN. When I'm
out and about it's just a conventional cellphone.

> I know there are issues that need to be considered like safety (911) for
> one. But can anyone else see where I'm coming from on this.

My VoIP provider doesn't "do" emergency calls either. Who cares? If the
need arises there are 3 cellphones and the land line here as well as the N95
on which I can place an emergency call.

--
Godwin Stewart - Horwich IT services