[asterisk-users] Hardphone SIP phone costs

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Mar 19 05:06:59 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:32 AM, John Faubion <jfaubion at tx.rr.com> wrote:

>  > when you look at the iPhone with all its amazing features for less than
> $500.00 it just doesn't make sense.  Am I the only one that thinks this?
>
> Remember that the service providers such as AT&T, Cingular, Sprint, Verizon
> and so forth, subsidize the cost of the phones because they make it up over
> the course of the contract. Hence the reason that some phones that have an
> initial cost when sold with a 1 year contract may be free initially with a 2
> year contract. Even some VoIP phones and ATA's are done this way but only
> through service providers. Take the subsidies away and that iPhone is pretty
> pricey.
>
> John

Cisco charges the premium because they can.  The name alone commands
the premium price.  If people were not buying, they would obviously
lower prices.  I am sure their bean counters have computed the price
to sales ratio to an exact science.

It is called maximizing profits.

I also have a habit of noting computers and phones when when watching
TV.  They have great product placement in many shows as does the Mac.
The Stargate series is one of the few shows where they use Dell
laptops.  Product placement is a good way subtly put "Cisco" into your
head, the other is their massive advertising campaigns on CNN and
other business oriented channels.

I stick with Polycom and have no complaints.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro