[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 reliability problems

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Mar 18 10:45:04 CDT 2008

I would suggest taking latest 1.4 branch from SVN (or 1.4.19-rc3 when
it's out). There has been few deadlocks fixed since rc2.

Recompile asterisk with DEBUG_THREADS enabled (in "make menuselect"),

If you're not using safe_asterisk script to start it, you should
execute also "ulimit -c unlimited" before launching asterisk..

When your asterisk is deadlocked, open CLI and execute "core show
locks". Copy that output, and submit to bugs.digium.com - it will tell
developers where exactly is problem.

Then, do "killall -11 asterisk". It will dump asterisk to core file,
and that might provide helpful information later.  If your have been
requested backtraces, look in /tmp (or in directory you launched
asterisk from) for core file. Open that core file with "gdb
/usr/sbin/asterisk core.xxxx" and take a dump of "thread apply all bt
full" (make sure you set "set pagination off" in gdb before this)

Regards,
Atis