[asterisk-users] NIN Ghosts music (free download) safe for MOH?

Brig C. McCoy Brig.McCoy at tkaccess.com
Mon Mar 10 12:40:39 CDT 2008

ASCAPs information is here:

	http://www.ascap.com/licensing/generalreports.html

BMIs information is here:

	http://www.bmi.com/licensing/?link=navbar

...brig

Brig C. McCoy
Network Administrator
ThyssenKrupp Access Corp
4001 E 138th ST
Grandview, MO  64030

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Joshua
Kinard
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 12:15 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Spam:Re: [asterisk-users] NIN Ghosts music (free download) safe
for MOH?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
On Behalf Of John Faubion

> Ok now I am curious, if a radio is playing in a store, a restaurant or
at
> the beach, wouldn't that be considered a public performance? And even
though
> the radio station has already paid the license fee, does this mean
that the
> person who owns the radio is also subject to these fees? I know of
several
> key systems with FM radio cards providing MoH and I've often wondered
about
> the ramifications of that setup and the music industry.

Well, ASCAP/BMI are stingy on collecting their fees -- one of them even
went after a shop for playing the Monday Night Football theme just
because they had the TV on that channel when it came on.  It seems kind
of ruthless if you ask me, but these guys play their cards well, and
generally avoid attracting the same the kind of infamy that the RIAA has
managed to garner.  Unlike the RIAA, they actually pay out their
collected royalties.  I don't know what their fees even are, but I think
they're not too bad from a business' standpoint.

Probably can't hurt to call them up and just ask.  They might be willing
to explain things in better detail.  Just be wary if they want your
company's information :)

--J