[asterisk-users] NIN Ghosts music (free download) safe for MOH?

Joshua Kinard jkinard at closeup.org
Mon Mar 10 12:15:05 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
On Behalf Of John Faubion

> Ok now I am curious, if a radio is playing in a store, a restaurant or at
> the beach, wouldn't that be considered a public performance? And even though
> the radio station has already paid the license fee, does this mean that the
> person who owns the radio is also subject to these fees? I know of several
> key systems with FM radio cards providing MoH and I've often wondered about
> the ramifications of that setup and the music industry.

Well, ASCAP/BMI are stingy on collecting their fees -- one of them even went after a shop for playing the Monday Night Football theme just because they had the TV on that channel when it came on.  It seems kind of ruthless if you ask me, but these guys play their cards well, and generally avoid attracting the same the kind of infamy that the RIAA has managed to garner.  Unlike the RIAA, they actually pay out their collected royalties.  I don't know what their fees even are, but I think they're not too bad from a business' standpoint.

Probably can't hurt to call them up and just ask.  They might be willing to explain things in better detail.  Just be wary if they want your company's information :)

--J