[asterisk-users] Background: reading the digits correctly, buffering it, waiting the sound message to complete

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 16:31:01 CST 2008

Dear Noah;

In that case, I can say that I have the following
issues need to be resolved:

1) When I press the digit (the first digit in the
entered number", asterisk recognize it as duplicated,
for example if I pressed "140" then asterisk recognize
it as "1140" or for example if I entered "2" then it
recognize it as "22" and so on. This happen if I did
not wait the sound message of the Background to be
completed, but if I let the sound message of the
Background to be completed, then this problem almost
does not happen (it might happen, but mostly does not
happen). So what is the solution to avoid this
duplication recognization in the first entered digit?

2) Is it possible in each menu to clear any entered
digit (in the begin of the senario) before start
playing any sound message? That help to avoid the
problem that might happen when I entered "1" and
asterisk recognize it as "11" so it will run the step
related to first 1 in the first menu and the step
related to second 1 in the second menu. How can I do
such clearance in the begin of the menu senario?

I can use Playback instead of Background, but also
sometimes we do not need to hear the sound message
completely because we already knows the complete
senario, so how can we avoid the duplication in the
first digit recognization when using Background
function and without letting the played sound file to
be completed (we need to start enter the digit once we
start hear the sound message).

Any help?
Regards
Bilal

-------------

Hi Bilal -

>  1) If I pressed 1 twice (11), so it runs the step
>  related to first 1 and then it runs the step
related
>  to second 1, so it does buffering for my input and
run
>  two steps, how can I make it run only the step
related
>  to first entered digit "1" and does not do
buffering
>  (so ignoring the second input)?

I don't think asterisk is doing any buffering here.
It's just
reacting quickly enough that it sends the first '1' to
the first IVR
menu and then advances to the second IVR menu and
sends the next '1'
there.

>  2) If I waited the sound message to completed and
then
>  I entered my digits, it reads it correctly without
>  duplication in the DTMF and without any problem,
but
>  if i entered my digits from the beginning of the
sound
>  message (without waiting to complete it), then
>  asterisk might read the digits duplicated
(specially
>  first entered digit), how can I resolve it? Does
>  playback resolve my problem? Any solution for
>  Background to avoid this behaviour?

I can think of two things:

1. Use different extensions in the second IVR menu so
1 is not a valid
 response
2. As you suggested, insert a brief Playback() into
the second menu
that says "Please listen to the following options"

>  Note: I set the relaxdtmf=yes and I made the
>  toneduration=500.

If your DTMF is working correctly, I would not try to
make any changes
there to influence menu selections.

- Noah